Kanyahte-h Aotha – Turtle Traps
Have you ever had turtle? It is very good. Following is an excellent turtle trap. Remember, in a SHTF situation, trapping burns less calories than hunting.
An excellent trap can be constructed by attaching chicken wire bottom to a square, four-board wood frame.
1) Use 18″ to 24″ boards to make this frame. They should also be 10″ to 12″ tall.
2) A slanted board is then nailed to the outside of the trap, leading to the top edge. It serves as a ramp on which the turtle can crawl out of the water to the trap.
3) A metal rod is driven horizontally through two of the frame boards. The rod is also passed through another “teeter” board which extends from the edge of the trap to near the middle. When the turtle crawls to the end of the board, his weight will tip it forward and he will fall into the trap.
4) A tough piece of fresh beef or pork should be suspended in the middle of the trap for bait.
5) To keep the turtle in the trap, 20 D nails should be driven into the frame, slanting upward, 4 inches apart, 2 inches above the water.
6) Wire the trap to the top of a fence post that is submerged in the water, or if the trap is resting on the ground near the pond, wire it to another structure for security.
If you want to learn how to butcher and cook turtle, let me know. I will make posts for this too. Take care, and see you on the other side. – Jiske-h (Ghost)
This is an archive of: http://ghostprepper.blogspot.com/2011/10/kanyahte-h-aotha-turtle-traps.html